What kind of imprint do we leave on life? No matter how old or young, quiet or loud, smart or not-so-smart, we hope to leave an imprint. It can be a small impression or a large one, but we want to know we left this world with some sort of positive impact on others. We don't want to think that after we're gone from this world, our work and person are quickly fading from people's memories.
Footprints in life recently gained the forefront of my daily reflections. These reflections are more poignant than one may normally think on a daily basis, and thus I've been working on this post for more than a week to figure out how I should word my thoughts.
February 28th I lost a friend of mine at an early age, very unexpectedly. He wasn't a super close friend, but one that I have known since my driver's permit was prominent in my wallet. Our lives parted ways after I got married and moved away. When I got the news of his departure, my thoughts flashed back to the last time I talked with him, the last time we hung out, nearly erasing the 6 years between the last time we could be called true "friends" and our lives today. It's funny how our minds do that...memories are interesting components to our psyche. We tend to forget all the bad, remember the good, and wonder why things didn't last.
I think that's good, though. Don't we want to be remembered for the good times? Don't we want people to erase the bad things we've done once we've left this life?
The whole situation leaves me contemplating the important things in life. How will I be remembered? What impression will I leave? I don't want the last thing I say to be a negative one because we never know when God will take us from this life. Each day, birthday, moment I have with my family and friends, gives me a new chance to say something positive, leave a (good) lasting impression, acknowledge what's really important in life.
Now that I think about it, maybe we could sum this up in two words: slow down! Slow down and pay attention to others. Slow down and pay attention to your surroundings. Slow down and think. Just slow down!
Love you Traci! Very insightful message!
ReplyDeleteMom